Hello again everyone! As promised here is the first of a series of posts that I had prepared as a way to end 2016. I know 2016 ended a few months ago now, but I still wanted to sit back and reflect on what some of my favorite parts of that season were.
So today we are starting off with the openings, since openings start off just about every episode of anime. I will warn you now, however, that some shows may be featured on both of these lists. It seemed liked if a show had an opening that I loved, then there was a good chance that I liked the ending a lot was well. But that is something I’ll talk about when we get to the ending part. Anyway, here are my Top 5 Openings of 2016!!
5. My Hero Academia Opening: “The Day” by Porno Graffitti
- When you have a show that surrounds something like super heroes you cannot have some calm peaceful opening. NO! You need something that gets you pumped up so that you are ready to watch some awesome fights to save the day, or just watching the future heroes strive to fulfill their dreams. My Hero Academia’s opening did that and always made me so pumped to watch the next episode. It also worked to show us Izuku’s 1-A classmates who we spend a lot of time with in the second half of the anime. The animation was beautiful and the, uh, it was SO good. It was catchy and I never skipped it once, even when I recently rewatched it in English.
4. Prince of Stride Alternative Opening: “Strider’s High” by OxT
- Say what you want about this show, this opening was catchy as all hell. It really got your blood moving and prepared you for the intensity that (theoretically) was going to follow. Whether it lived up to those standards of intensity in the episode is a discussion for another day. Opening wise, however, it had beautiful animation that did a good job of showing us our main cast as characters as well as the different teams our main cast will be facing off against. One thing that I noticed was that showing all of the teams kind of gave away that the team from Honan was going to get pretty far in the competition. However, we still did not know how each of these teams would affect the team from Honan and the show as well. Not to mention the song was absolutely awesome!!
3. Kiznaiver Opening: “LAY YOUR HANDS ON ME” by BOOM BOOM SATELLITES
- Let me just make it clear, I have a real love-hate relationship with this show. I loved the concept and the early part of the show, but the farther along it got the less and less I began to enjoy it. HOWEVER! The one thing this show did better than many this year was its opening. It was beautiful to say the least. The bright colors and constant, fluid motion was beautiful. The song itself is not hard to listen to either. “Lay Your Hands on Me” is a beautiful song that I listen to in the car, mowing the lawn, you name it. It also showed our main cast of characters and gave us a little glimpse into who they are as a person. It was such a good opening.
2. Haikyuu! Season 2 Opening 2: “FLY HIGH” by BURNOUT SYNDROMES
- I had to hit for a minute and argue with myself about whether I wanted “FLY HIGH” from the second season or the third season’s opening “Hikari Are” which is, coincidentally, also performed by BURNOUT SYNDROMES. Both have really good good songs and animation, however I just seemed to like “FLY HIGH” more. During the second half of the second season, Karasuno’s main focus was to beat Aoba Johsai. The opening did a good job of focusing on that, while also being like “Hey guys! Yeah that’s good and all that you want to beat Aoba Johsai, but don’t forget after them you’re going to have to go fight that future Olympian and the rest of Shiratorizawa.” The animation itself was also very pretty. The part when the ball is reflected in Hinata’s eye, beautiful. I also liked how it changed after Daichi got hit in the face. They added the bruise to his cheek in every episode following it. And I love it when openings change like that! I love it! Did I mention the song was good? Because it was.
1. ERASED (Boku dake ga Inai Machi) Opening: “Re:Re” by Asian Kung-Fu Generation
- I knew early in the year that this would probably end up being on this list no matter what. The song alone would have earned itself a place on this list. “Re:Re” is a catchy, exciting song that gets you ready for whatever adventures Satoru is going to get into this episode. I also liked the way that it incorporated the movie film which really creates this idea that we are watching Satoru’s life along with him. What really made me like this opening was how it changed in the episode after Satoru’s car accident. We did not know if he made it and the opening for that episode left us guessing because Satoru was not in it at all. It was actually really creepy that he was not there, since we were so used to him being there. I mean, sure, how many shows kill off a main character like that, but still we had no idea what was going on and if he was okay or not. Then when it finally showed the people’s eyes who had been hidden, oh man. It was like at the beginning we did not know what their intentions were so their eyes were covered, but at the end when we finally found out then we could see their eyes. I loved it! It really made it my favorite opening of the season.
And that, my friends, is my Top 5 Opening of 2016. It’s finally out there and it’s only June. Hahaha. Anyway, I hope that you all enjoyed it. All of these songs currently sit on my iPod and I listen to them a lot because I love them so much. I tried my best to explain why, however I know they may not be the best explanations. But let me know what you guys think! What openings from back in 2016 were your favorite? Did you add them to your anime soundtrack playlist like I did? Let me know in the comments down below!! And stayed tuned for the Top 5 Endings list!!
See you next time!!